BRITISH ROWING CHARITABLE FOUNDATION
We are committed to respecting your privacy. This notice is to explain how we may use personal information we collect before, during and after your contact with us. This notice explains how we comply with the law on data protection, what your rights are and for the purposes of data protection we will be the controller of any of your personal information.
This notice applies to you if you engage in any way with the work of the British Rowing Charitable Foundation; including supporters, donors, beneficiaries, volunteers and contractors of the Foundation. It also applies to you if you provide your information when enquiring about the Foundation, requesting support or signing up to receive information or other services from us.
References to we, our or us in this privacy notice are to British Rowing Charitable Foundation (company number 11490809 and Registered Charity number 1179845), registered address 6 Lower Mall, London W6 9DJ.
We have not appointed a Data Protection Officer to oversee our compliance with data protection laws as we are not required to do so, but our Company Secretary has overall responsibility for data protection compliance in our organisation.
Contact details are set out in the “Contacting us” section at the end of this privacy notice.
- Personal Information we may collect from you
When you make an enquiry to us via our website, phone, email or through social media, you may provide us with or we may obtain personal information about you, such as information regarding your:
- personal contact details that allows us to contact you directly such as name, title, email addresses and telephone numbers;
- your marketing preferences so that we know whether and how we should contact you.
When you make a donation or other payment to us, we may also collect the following other personal information about you. Most of this information will come directly from you or will be provided by third-party donation platforms which have processed your donation on our behalf:
- Full UK address with postcode;
- Confirmation that you are a UK tax payer and are eligible for Gift Aid;
- The source of your donation (e.g. third-party donation platform);
- The fundraising campaign you supported;
- The fundraising event or activity you participated in;
- Payment amount;
- Donation frequency;
- The restrictions, if any, that you have placed on your donation;
- Records of communication from to or relating to you;
- If a payment is made by credit/debit card we will use the card details to process your payment but they will not be stored.
When you volunteer for us, we may collect the following details from you:
- Type of volunteering role and the reason for your interest in volunteering;
- Skills and experience;
- Hobbies and interests;
- Volunteering experience;
- Your availability for volunteering
- Uses made of the information
The table below describes the main purposes for which we process your personal information, the categories of your information involved and our lawful basis for being able to do this.
|Purpose||Personal information used||Lawful basis|
|To manage our relationship with you, including processing payments and any support, service or product or other enquiries made by you||
All contact details, transaction and payment information, records of your interactions with us, and marketing preferences.
This is necessary to enable us to properly manage and administer your relationship with us.
|To arrange and manage any contracts for the provision of any merchandise, products and/or services.||
All contact details.
Transaction and payment information.
Record of attendance at events.
|This is necessary to enable us to properly administer and perform any contract for the provision of merchandise, products and/or services to you.|
|To send you other marketing information we think you might find useful or which you have requested from us, including our newsletters, information about events, participation products and information about our commercial partners||
All contact and membership details and marketing preferences.
|Where you have given us your explicit consent to do so.|
|To answer your queries or complaints||
Contact details and records of your interactions with us
|We have a legitimate interest to provide complaint handling services to you in case there are any issues.|
|Retention of records||All the personal information we collect||We have a legitimate interest in retaining records whilst they may be required in relation to complaints or claims. We need to retain records in order to properly administer and manage your relationship with us and in some cases, we may have legal or regulatory obligations to retain records.|
|The security of our IT systems||
Your usage of our IT systems.
|We have a legitimate interest to ensure that our IT systems are secure.|
|For the purposes of promoting our fundraising and charitable activities.||Images in video and/or photographic form.||Where you have given us your explicit consent to do so.|
|To comply with health and safety requirements||Records of any safety incidents.||We have a legal obligation and a legitimate interest to provide you with a safe environment when attending any event or activity organised by us.|
For some of your personal information you will have a legal, contractual or other requirement or obligation for you to provide us with your personal information. If you do not provide us with the requested personal information we may not be able to properly perform our services for you or comply with legal obligations. For other personal information you may not be under an obligation to provide it to us, but if you do not provide it then we may not be able to properly perform our services for you.
Where you have given us your consent to use your personal information in a particular manner, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time, which you may do by contacting us as described in the “Contacting us” section below.
Please note however that the withdrawal of your consent will not affect any use of the data made before you withdrew your consent and we may still be entitled to hold and process the relevant personal information to the extent that we are entitled to do so on bases other than your consent. Withdrawing consent may also have the same effects as not providing the information in the first place, for example we may no longer be able to provide certain services to you.
- DIRECT MARKETING
Email, post and SMS marketing: from time to time, we may contact you by email, post or SMS with information about products and services we believe you may be interested in.
We will only send marketing messages to you in accordance with the marketing preferences you set. You can then let us know at any time that you do not wish to receive marketing messages by emailing us at email@example.com. You can also unsubscribe from our marketing by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the marketing messages we send to you.
- Disclosure of your PERSONAL information
We share personal information with the following parties:
- Any party approved by you.
- Other service providers: for example, email marketing specialists, third party payment processors, data analysis, promotional advisors, contractors or suppliers and IT services (including CRM, website, video- and teleconference services);
- Our supply chain partners & sub-contractors, such as couriers, distributors and event organisers;
- Our Commercial Partners: for the purposes of providing you with information on any tickets, special offers, opportunities, products and services and other commercial benefits provided by our commercial partners where you have given your express consent for us to do so;
- The Government or our regulators: where we are required to do so by law or to assist with their investigations or initiatives.
- Police, law enforcement and security services: to assist with the investigation and prevention of crime and the protection of national security.
We do not disclose personal information to anyone else except as set out above.
- TRANSFERRING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION INTERNATIONALLY
The personal information we collect may be transferred to and stored in countries outside of the UK and the European Union. Some of these jurisdictions require different levels of protection in respect of personal information and, in certain instances, the laws in those countries may be less protective than the jurisdiction you are typically resident in. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is only used in accordance with this privacy notice and applicable data protection laws and is respected and kept secure and where a third party processes your data on our behalf we will put in place appropriate safeguards as required under data protection laws. For further details please contact us by using the details set out in the “Contacting us” section below.
- HOW LONG DO WE KEEP PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR?
The duration for which we retain your personal information will differ depending on the type of information and the reason why we collected it from you. However, in some cases personal information may be retained on a long-term basis: for example, personal information that we need to retain for legal purposes will normally be retained in accordance with usual commercial practice and regulatory requirements. Generally, where there is no legal requirement we retain all physical and electronic records for a period of 6 years after your last contact with us. Exceptions to this rule are:
- CCTV records which are held for no more than 8 weeks unless we need to preserve the records for the purpose of prevention and detection of crime;
- Information that may be relevant to personal injury claims, or discrimination claims may be retained until the limitation period for those types of claims has expired. For personal injury or discrimination claims this can be an extended period as the limitation period might not start to run until a long time after you have been in contact with us.
It is important to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and up-to-date, and you should let us know if anything changes, for example if you change your phone number or email address. You can contact us using by using the details set out in the “Contacting us” section below.
- YOUR RIGHTS IN RELATION TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have the following rights in relation to your personal information:
- the right to be informed about how your personal information is being used;
- the right to access the personal information we hold about you;
- the right to request the correction of inaccurate personal information we hold about you;
- the right to request the erasure of your personal information in certain limited circumstances;
- the right to restrict processing of your personal information where certain requirements are met;
- the right to object to the processing of your personal information;
- the right to request that we transfer elements of your data either to you or another service provider; and
- the right to object to certain automated decision-making processes using your personal information.
You should note that some of these rights, for example the right to require us to transfer your data to another service provider or the right to object to automated decision making, may not apply as they have specific requirements and exemptions which apply to them and they may not apply to personal information recorded and stored by us. For example, we do not use automated decision making in relation to your personal data. However, some have no conditions attached, so your right to withdraw consent or object to processing for direct marketing are absolute rights.
Whilst this privacy notice sets out a general summary of your legal rights in respect of personal information, this is a very complex area of law. More information about your legal rights can be found on the Information Commissioner’s website at https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/.
To exercise any of the above rights, or if you have any questions relating to your rights, please contact us by using the details set out in the “Contacting us” section below.
If you are unhappy with the way we are using your personal information, you can also complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office or your local data protection regulator. We are here to help and encourage you to contact us to resolve your complaint first.
- CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
We may update this privacy notice from time to time. When we change this notice in a material way, we will update the version date at the bottom of this page. For significant changes to this notice we will try to give you reasonable notice unless we are prevented from doing so. Where required by law we will seek your consent to changes in the way we use your personal information.
- CONTACTING US
In the event of any query or complaint in connection with the information we hold about you, please email the Company Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at The Company Secretary, British Rowing Charitable Foundation, 6 Lower Mall, London W6 9DJ.
Version dated 1 July 2019